This shaft was one of several shafts sunk at the former Flour Mill Colliery site that closed in the early 1960s. It was a 14’ diameter brick lined shaft 140yds deep that was sunk in 1904. The original concrete cover was in poor condition and was removed in order to determine the condition of the shaft lining. Water levels within the shaft was dipped at 80m below ground level. Access roads reinforced with geogrid had to be constructed through the surrounding forestry commission land to enable lorries and concrete pumps to gain access to the site.
The shaft was filled with approx. 2500 tonnes of free draining stone with steel casings placed down to the water level at 80m below the surface to allow for future monitoring of the levels within the shaft. A reinforced concrete cap was constructed over the shaft. Working closely with the Forestry Commission and The Coal Authority we ensured that the site was reinstated to ensure the quick re-generation of natural foliage and minimal disturbance caused to natural habitats and wildlife during the works.
Est.1976. ISO Registered Company | VAT Reg. No. 791 3722 16 DUNS No. 227801222