The last drift mine entrance into the former Llan Colliery was sealed with a concrete block wall that was vandalised providing unauthorised entry into the workings. An internal inspection of the roadway identified a distortion in the brickwork to the roof of the adit that was directly below the main road to the village of Gwaelod Y Garth.There is historical evidence of the mine containing dangerous gases as in December 1875 there was an explosion at the mine that killed 12 men and boys.
The Colliery is of great historical importance to the local community and work was ongoing between Pentyrch Community Council and Welsh Government Organisations when the Coal Authority was informed of the breach in the front wall of the adit portal. Working closely with the local community and the Coal Authority a solution was found to ensure future public safety and also preserve the mine entrance portal including the installation of a commemorative slate plaque to the new stone façade. Work has since been ongoing to preserve the mine entrance as a heritage site.
Est.1976. ISO Registered Company | VAT Reg. No. 791 3722 16 DUNS No. 227801222